Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This is a fun way to highlight some of my favorite books I read this year. (I've read 106 books so far, and the year isn't quite over yet!) This list excludes the C. S. Lewis books I re-read this year because if it's by C. S. Lewis, it's pretty much a given that it's one of my favorites and I think you should read it. =)
1. Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes: Removing Cultural Blinders to Better Understand the Bible by E. Randolph Richards, Brandon J. O'Brien - This book had some very helpful information about the culture/historical background of the New Testament time.
2. Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation by Ruth Haley Barton - One of the best books on Spiritual Formation/Disciplines that I have ever read.
3. Brené Brown - Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead (I hope to re-read this one soon.)
4. Mark A. Noll - The Civil War as a Theological Crisis - very thought provoking. I'm probably going to need to read it again soon.
5. Brian Zahnd - A Farewell to Mars: An Evangelical Pastor's Journey Toward the Biblical Gospel of Peace - Also quite thought provoking.
6. Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions by Rachel Held Evans - I wish I could make more people read this book and so many others...
7. Steve Corbett - When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor and Yourself - This should be a must read for anyone who wants to be involved in missions in any capacity.
8. Stephen Seamands - Ministry in the Image of God: The Trinitarian Shape of Christian Service - This was also a text for a Seminary class and it was also very good!
9. Barbara Brown Taylor - An Altar in the World: A Geography of Faith - I've already re-read this one! So good!
10. Surprised by Scripture: Engaging Contemporary Issues by N.T. Wright
Have you read any of these books or authors? What are some of your favorite books you've read this year?